Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wk3 Publishing/Leadership Project Part 1 of 3: Thoughts

I am not really sure which way to go with the project proposal. I am not sure I have enough good material to present and I am apprehensive about the writing of a paper for publication. I think that perhaps I will explore the possibility of submissions to journals such as Music Educators Journal, TIME, and The Journal of Music Research. Although I feel my action research project was not a real success in the manner I had hoped for, it may prove helpful to someone struggling with similar circumstances or thoughts of exploration.

3 comments:

  1. @Steve.

    I know exactly what you mean. My results are not as I'd hoped either and when the idea of publishing was introduced, I was the first one to cringe. The thought of having to publish results that were less than I'd hoped for was frustrating. However, like you, I am starting to see the logic in the fact that our work can serve others who may one day, be struggling with similar research questions. With the help of our work, maybe they will now switch a few variables, until eventually the results we originally hoped for are reached. Essentially, we are contributing towards future research by helping with the blue prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that I am not alone in the struggle over publishing or presenting and couldn’t agree with you more about being undecided. The results of my action research were not what I expected and therefore I am not sure that they would make a very exciting presentation. I like your ideas about finding a magazine or journal more specific to your topic for publishing. The point of this publishing project is to take the next huge leap of faith with your research and professional credibility. My opinion is that publishing might be the most successful way to go. Good Luck either way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I think that regardless of the results, whether they are what you predicted or not, they are valuable. I guess that is why research and analysis is done, to see what works and what might not get the results that you have expected. This can be just as valuable as getting the results you expected. Anything that others can see, can help them learn from your information and adapt from there.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete